Thursday, January 28, 2010

Through a glass darkly...

Nikon F100, Nikkor 18-35 D, Ilford HP5 plus (ISO 400)

I was reminded of these words (in the 'old' King James Version of the Bible) when looking at this photo I took last Saturday in MacCarthy's Bar, Glengarriff. We were waiting for our meal to arrive when I noticed the shadows of two people talking the other side of the partition. Like the children I was getting fidgety and I had a couple of pictures left on the film...

The words are of course from 1 Corinthians chapter 13, which coincidentally is the Epistle for this Sunday (Epiphany 4).
12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Generally I prefer the modern versions of the Bible, but there are times when the old text has a power and resonance that (in English at least) imho cannot be surpassed.

No comments: