Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Emmet Place

Canon A570is, 1/60 sec, ISO 80, 5.8 mm (x2), (Click to enlarge)

On Monday evening, on my way to the institution of the new Rector in Youghal I passed this interesting place near the Church. It was quite a busy street and I couldn't stand back far enough to get it all in one photo, so it's two pictures 'stitched together' on the computer. The street sign says "Emmet Place", presumably after Robert Emmet, the famous Irish Patriot (and of course member of the Church of Ireland!)

You know the expression "if only ... could talk", well if only this house could talk, once we had got over the initial shock of a speaking building I'm sure it would be able to tell us a fascinating history. Who lived here, what were they like, how long has the building been empty? Probably many families have lived here, children were born and grew up here, people lived their lives and grew old and died here. There were probably many happy and many sad chapters of life lived out within those walls that are now weak with age and neglect and all memory fading away along with the peeling paint...

Where has the laughter gone, the windows won't say, where have the memories gone, the walls will not tell...

In looking at the transient nature of once fine human dwellings, I'm reminded of John 14, where the Lord Jesus says:

In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (verses 2 and 3).

In the unsureties of this life it's great to know the permanency of what the Lord Jesus has achieved for all who put their faith and trust in Him - an eternal dwelling place that will never fade away and where there will be no sadness or death, only the joy of being with our Saviour, Master and Friend...

No comments: