Monday, July 28, 2008

Pick up the stick and throw!

"Play with me!"
Nikon D70s 1/500 sec, f11, ISO 200, 18mm, RAW

We love going down to Garrettstown beach near Kinsale and it seemed that last Saturday, even though the weather wasn't great many other people (and animals) had the same idea. There we were making sandcastles and digging holes when we had an unexpected (and uninvited) visitor in the shape of a very hairy, wet and sandy dog. Our canine companion had kindly brought a stick with him and kept coming a little closer and dropping the stick then coming closer still. No doubt he couldn't believe how thick I was being, after all he was a dog and he was giving me a stick - go figure! Eventually he pestered me so much that I picked up the stick and threw it (not nearly far enough). The furry wet sandy mass came to life, bounded after the stick and hastily brought it back. I sort of was enjoying the game now so I went to pick up the stick again - but he grabbed it before me and wouldn't let go! The game of 'throw' had now become a game of 'tug'. I wasn't a good playmate, he soon got bored and ran off to find someone else who could do better...

I'm reminded of what Jesus said about persistence in prayer. There was a man who had a late night visitor but not enough food to give him, so he went over to his friends house to borrow some food. But the friend shouted out from upstairs that the door was locked and his children were in bed and to come back in the morning. But the man kept on and on asking until eventually the friend gave him the three loaves of bread he was asking for (Luke 18). The point I suppose is that sometimes God wants to see just how much we really want what we are asking Him for, is it just a whim or is it something that we are heartfelt and passionate about? If we persist asking God will eventually pick up the stick and throw!

Jesus said: "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Luke 11:9-10)


No comments: