Saturday, August 8, 2009

Field of Gold

Panasonic LX1, f5.6, 1/400 sec, ISO 80, 28mm equivalent (click to enlarge)

I get to travel around in some very beautiful countryside as I go out visiting people. This field of ripening wheat caught my eye during a trip to the far side of Great Island. The wind was blowing up from the sea, moving the wheat in sea-like waves towards me. A special moment.

For those interested in the technical aspects of the photograph, I used the Gimp (a free photo editor) to mimic the effect of a 'tilt-shift' lens. If you would like to try it yourself, here's a helpful 'how to' article.

2 comments:

Joc Sanders said...

A lovely scene, Daniel, but I think the grain is barley, not wheat, judging by the awns on the ears!

This is a dangerous time of year in these parts, and no doubt with you too, what with all the combines and tractors with trailers full of grain, careering around the boreens - do drive safely!

Daniel & Sonja said...

Thanks Joc - I'm not very good at telling the difference, thanks for the tip on driving safely too - yes it can be a bit hairy at times...