Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sparing a thought for Farmers

Kilmalooda Cows


Many of the Parishioners here are Farmers or in some way connected to Agriculture.  Having spoken with a couple of dairy farmers in the last few days I am getting a greater understanding of how tough this cold, icy weather can be.  Their work takes much longer in these freezing conditions, as they do everything to stop the water pipes from freezing, keeping the yard from getting too slippery and trying to prevent the cows skating around!  Then there's loads of other stuff which to a layman like myself I wouldn't get or understand, but nevertheless farmers have both my sympathy and my prayers at this time.

Kilmalooda Church Panorama


Yesterday I was driving (very slowly) through Kilmalooda on my way to a visit.  I had set out too early and had some time to spare so I took a few pictures.  Firstly the one at the top of the cows, (which got me thinking again about the farmers), then one of the church (or rather 21 pictures merged together to form a giant picture on the computer),

Kilmalooda road


then one of the icy road

Kilmalooda Valley and Castle


and finally one of the old raiding Castle in the valley.  For all its harshness, the snow and ice is at the same time, quite beautiful...

4 comments:

Joc Sanders said...

You have been getting it worse than we have in this part of the country, with no more than alight dusting of snow here, with hard frost.

God bless the farmers, indeed.

Despite the difficulty this weather brings them, it is marvellous to see how they help each other with fodder etc, and so often help others on otherwise impassable roads with their tractors - something for which I have cause to be grateful!

Daniel & Sonja said...

Thanks Joc, glad to hear things are no so bad in your part of the country.

Paddy said...

I like your shadow in the 21 pic composite - looks like you might be wearing a cassock (although I presume it was a long coat)!

Daniel & Sonja said...

Fr Levi, Ha - yes a long coat I'm afraid!