Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Common Darter

Common Darter Dragonfly

Dragonflies are wonderful insects to watch and for me at least very difficult to photograph.  I don't have a macro (close up) lens so it means I have to get as close as I can.  Unfortunately my attempts to get a picture of this fella (a Common Darter), were a bit like the fisherman and 'the one that got away'.  From a distance I managed to get the picture above (which I have magnified to make it look bigger but at the expense of detail) and then I carefully edged forward until I got really close.  It would have been a good picture.  I pressed the shutter release only for the memory card in the camera to stop working!  As I looked at the error message in the viewfinder blinking 'CHR' the Dragonfly saw his chance of escape and darted off.  Humph.

No comments: