Saturday, May 16, 2009

Green Finch

Nikon D70s, f5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO 800, 450mm equivalent

Saw this little fella on the bird table yesterday evening. Much as I like the myriad of Crows and Magpies that usually inhabit our garden, it’s nice to occasionally see something different. In my ignorance I whispered across the kitchen to my wife “look there’s a lovely green bird on the bird table”, to which she replied “oh yes, it’s a Green Finch”. And what a beautiful bird it is too (although it's looking a little cross at being disturbed by the man wielding a camera from the other side of the window)!

I am reminded of these words of the Lord Jesus:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
(Matthew 6:25-27)

4 comments:

Grannymar said...

Maybe Mr Bird was cross that the roof was not fixed yet!

*runs away and hides....!*

Joc Sanders said...

I love that passage, too. I think you do God's work putting food out on the bird table!
As do gardeners, for Jesus continues, "Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his was not clothed like one of these."

Daniel & Sonja said...

Ha Ha! You're quite right Grannymar - the bird table was hurled across the garden by a ferocious storm we had a couple of months ago and you have given me a timely reminder that it's about time I fixed it!

Daniel & Sonja said...

Good point Joc - yes it's a wonderful piece of Scripture I keep coming back to it when I find myself worrying about things...